How I completely cleared my acne:
I have been on Accutane multiple times. Minocycline, doxycline, clindamycin, Retin-A, benzoyl peroxide…
For those of you who have suffered the same path, I know that you can relate.
I will also preface this by saying that I had moderate but persistent acne. I do not know if my tips can cure those with severe acne, but I am confident that they could help.
So without further ado, how I finally managed my acne, with some extra information:
1. Like many others I eliminated dairy, including all dairy derivatives (whey, casein). The research behind the dairy-acne connection is well established. I think dairy mostly activates IGF-1 and other inflammatory pathways. These are great for building bulk and muscle, but bad for acne. It’s a tradeoff. As a skinny guy, it was a hard tradeoff, but I did it.
2. I went low to no carb. I believe that no carb would clear most people completely, but I simply needed some carbs to survive. One carb that works extremely well? Sweet Potato. I would avoid most others. However, I feel I can digest rice pretty well also.
3. No sugar. This should go without saying, but really no added sugar. Obviously, some comes from sweet potatoes, but really nothing else.
4. Low to no fodmaps. I have a blog post about this but fodmaps and basically short chain sugars that are more complex to digest. They are found high in foods like onion and garlic.
5. Intermittent fasting. I’ll write a more in-depth post about this but I basically try to eat within an 8 hour window, although this can be difficult some days, and turning to an 11 hour window is somewhat easier and just as good. The basic idea here is to have a shorter period of time where your body has to put its energy and inflammation into processing foods. This allows your body to decompress. Really this just means don't eat for a couple hours before bed, and don't eat right when you wake up.
6. Sleep before midnight. It just seems to give a better, more full sleep.
That’s really it! This diet is really hard though! If you need help with foods that I have found “safe” let me know.
7. Take nicotinamide riboside, which I talk about and link to in another post. Nicotinamide Riboside has so many proven benefits not just for acne but for aging in general.
As time goes on I want to try incorporating more foods like bananas or other vegetables.
If you have autoimmune issues you should look up Mikhaila Peterson’s story and diet.
She basically went all carnivore, which I personally think is almost impossible to maintain, but she sees great results. I think there’s some truth to the all meat diet, but I like to have a more flexible diet. Here is the link:
Let me know if you have any questions!